Monday, 29 March 2010

What is an Enteprise Culture?

Type  "enterprise culture" into google and what do you get?  Firstly, the car hire company comes up (presume they pay quite a bit for that to happen), but this is followed by a good number of articles, the one from the Times 100 web site http://www.thetimes100.co.uk/theory/theory--enterprise-culture  beginning "Enterprise is a fascinating culture....... (article worth a read!)..........

For me, enterprising means stepping outside of the box to deliver solutions and taking a few calculated and acceptable risks along the way. 
As a young mum in the mid-70's I became a "mini"  Entreprenuer - to solve 2 problems.  (1) I wanted to generate a bit of extra income and (2) - with 3 children under 2 years of age, and no family support / baby sitters - I felt going out to work for someone else was not an easy option.  My peer group thought I was a bit crazy - flying up to the warehouses in East London and running coffee mornings to sell my "treasured bargains", but it was the excitement of putting my dreams and passions into practice that gave me the energy and enabled me to thrive in my own very small way.  It was the beginning of a long (and continuing) journey of successes and failures - of learning curves and shared experiences............ none of which I would have missed for the world. 

Did I live in an Enterprise culture - not really. Local courses and activities seemed to be based on being a better homemaker (cake making) or for the more studious,  Book Clubs.  I would have loved to have had the support of local enterprising generating projects, to have networked with other Entrepreneurs (established and budding) and explored opportunities and dreams.

I do believe that Enterprise in 2010 is a culture that is now understood, valued and celebrated - far more than in the 1970's when my journey began - and is available for everyone to explore, digest and join. Welcome onboard everyone!

To find out more about the project I work on in Ellesmere Port, please go to http://www.enterprisecoach.info/

No comments:

Post a Comment

2010: Enterprise Clients: Workshops ? Do you want to know more about